Monday 23 January 2017

Review: Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge



It was not until the release of the BeautyBlender in 2007 that blending sponges were taken truly seriously within the beauty world.  Over the past 10 years or so, the BeautyBlender concept of a pricier, but high-tech and reusable sponge which forms an integral and versatile part of any makeup routine has been adopted by dozens of other brands within the market.  I first got my hands on the original BeautyBlender sponges back in 2015, and having previously used a stippling brush, I could instantly see why everyone was going crazy for sponges instead.  Although I would still consider myself a relatively faithful member of the original BeautyBlender fan club, the price of those bad boys is not easily overlooked, at around £13 a sponge.  And so, when the time came, I began my search for a new, more affordable blending sponge.  And this is what I found...  

 
Real Techniques have a pretty good reputation with me as it is for affordable but good quality and well designed makeup brushes.  And their take on the blending sponge certainly does not disappoint.  Coming in at just £4.49 on Amazon for one, or £7.49 for two, these are undoubtedly miles better value than the original BeautyBlenders, yet are similar in many ways.  They expand slightly less than the BBs, which I found to grow by at least 40-50%; I would say with RT you're looking at around 25% expansion, making for a slightly denser sponge. 

Before soaking...

After soaking.
   
 But I actually far prefer this - I would find if I didn't rinse the water out my BB properly before using, it would dilute my foundation to only give a very light coverage.  Don't get me wrong, I don't like cakey, but there is also a reason I bother wearing foundation in the first place!  Also, I far prefer the shape of this sponge.  The flat side is perfect for under eyes and across cheeks, while the rounded end is better for nose and eyelids/browbone area.  In terms of effect, this is certainly on par with the BB, giving a similarly subtle, airbrushed but natural look that blends seamlessly with the skin.  Because of its functionality, price point and design, my vote must then go to Real Techniques' sponge over BeautyBlender.  

Has anyone else compared the two? 

Ruby x

 







Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment