Sunday 20 December 2015

A Most Surprising Haircut

Photo sourced from Google.


If someone had told me a few days ago that it was possible to have my hair cut in under an hour for under a tenner I would probably have laughed disbelievingly and told them not to be ridiculous.  But on Friday, my life was changed by the revolution that is Celly's.

Has anyone ever heard of a salon called Celly's? Chances are you probably haven't; I certainly hadn't before, and when my friend Fleur told me about the concept of it, I have to say I was shocked.  I couldn't imagine a hairdressing salon that was basically the female equivalent of the traditional male barbers.  I couldn't imagine walking in off the street, sitting down, and waiting to get my haircut, without any forward planning, without even making an appointment.  The whole idea just seemed insane to me.  

But desperate times called for desperate measures, and with my student loan a distant memory and hair that would give Dumbledore's beard a run for its money, I felt I would be silly not to give Celly's a go.  So on Friday morning I dragged Josh into town with me to keep me company, promising him that this time would be different to the other times I've had my hair done and it would (should) definitely (hopefully) not take more than an hour.  As I walked in I told the receptionist I just wanted a cut, and my name was added to a list and then I was invited to sit down and wait.  I reckon there was probably around 6 other women waiting before me, and about the same amount of hairdressers, so I presumed I would be waiting around an hour.  How wrong I was!  After 25 minutes I was ushered into a chair, sat down and a gown was whisked around me.  I'm not going to lie, the service there really is no frills - no introductions, no how are you, no coffee or juice or milkshakes.  After nervously telling the lady I just wanted a few inches off my hair to make it look half healthy again, she got to work.  She brushed through first (no easy feat at all, but I was impressed by her speed), and by this point, I started to relax a little.  Until, moments later, I realised she was already cutting my hair.  DRY.  I have never, ever, even heard of anyone getting their hair cut dry.  By this point, I was suddenly very nervous again, and I started to sweat a little as the scissors flashed at me in the mirror and lock after lock of hair drifted down onto the cold floor.  Around 20 minutes later, I paid my £9.90 and left.  Not one drop of water had touched my hair.  Not one product.  Not one millilitre of shampoo nor conditioner.  It was unheard of - but, it was brilliant.  I was in and out within three quarters of an hour, with no severe dent in my bank account, no hour and a half of my life wasted sitting in a chair with dead legs making polite conversation, no cloud of strawberry-scented hair products following me round for hours after.  


Celly's definitely won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I have to say for a quick, cheap and cheerful haircut, I really can't fault it.  I'm not entirely sure how I would feel about having my hair coloured or a more complicated cut there, as I don't know if my nerves could take it...but for just a trim, it's certainly worth a try.  Has anyone else visited?

Ruby x






Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment